Monday, April 28, 2008

Psycho



Okay the ignorant me never knew that the 1998 movie was actually a remake of a 1960 Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece.

That is why when my lecturer said that we were about to watch "Psycho" during lecture I wasn't particularly jumping out of my seat. What was there to critically 'analyze' anyway?

And hey, as embarrassing as it sounds, it was the 1998 one which had permanently traumatized me till, to a certain extent, today. Because of that 'infamous' shower scene, I rarely, or never ever use the shower curtains when I use the bath tubs in hotels - yes it's true. So I definitely do not want to be re-traumatized again if you know what I mean. It took me a little while to get over it and I'm almost there and I cannot possibly imagine spending another 10 years trying to live past the trauma again.

And then again, the 1998 movie wasn't really some work to behold in the first place isn't it? I mean, even after watching the remade version first, as much as I remember, I still feel it pales in comparison to the 1960 one which I never even knew existed before today. :/

But now I know.

Considering the period the movie was made, and after reading the trivia section in its imdb page, all I can say is wow - seriously, what a great movie this is!

The music is classic, and the extent in which Hitchcock went through to pass the movie of as 'real' as possible is really admirable.

Okay it wasn't really that scary maybe it startled me a few times now and then (during the scenes when we all know something is about to happen) but when "it" actually happened, it was actually pretty funny.

But regardless of anything, its idea, script, cinematography and Hitchcock's own personal flavor to it is really compelling to say the least.

To better value and realize the "workmanship" of the movie, we all have to always keep a mental note somewhere at the back of our minds that at that period, psychological thrillers like Psycho was virtually non-existent. If anything, the "horror/thriller" genre would comprise of vampires and werewolves and things of that sort. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie is actually accredited for influencing the existence of other psychological thrillers we have in abundance today.




On the whole, a very good movie. Certainly goes up to my personal list of the 'Top 10 Best Movies of All Time', if there's such a list that is.


"A boy's best friend is his mother." - Norman Bates





-alexeO-

No comments: