Saturday, November 17, 2007

BERSIH - Rally for Electoral Reform [Part 2]

The pouring rain and dark skies didn't deter both the authorities and the participants of the march. TK and I stood at a reasonable distance from the actual scene so we could able to plan our actions and decisions from what we felt as, a safe distance.

It was around that time..



..when that happened.

The yellow and red(Unit Amal-refer to previous post) people got pushed further and further back towards our direction as the dispersing actions by the authorities went on. No one ran away, no one walked home, no one boarded the train to go to a safer location, none of that 'chickening' happened.

Instead, many sought refuge in the nearby mosque while many others just continued their protest on the streets, showing their tough resilience by standing strong and shouting random stuff in front of the authorities, no signs of faltering, not at all.


Umbrellas signify rain.

I noticed around me that the shops around had their respective workers rushing out and informing the people that they were going to close the shutters and doors - asking people to either get in or stay outside and stay nowhere in the middle.

I had a literal rush of adrenaline at that very moment as it felt like I was in one of those climatic scenes of those typical action movies, except that there was no hero in this little excerpt of mine..

Workers rushing out of shops, some standing on stools, serious expressions etched on their faces, asking in commanding voices for everyone to disperse from their gates as they pulled down the metal shutters from the ceiling.

TK, his friends, and I thought better and we decided to stay outside. A split-second decision which paid off. We didn't want to be locked and sealed up for the rest of the march. That was not what we were there for anyway.

And did I mention that the chemical-laced water from the water cannons had chemicals in it which could somehow travel through air and cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat of the people around?

I kinda felt like sneezing, but I couldn't. That was how it felt. You smell something funny and the next thing you know, your nose gets itchy and your eyes feel like closing.

T.T

Anyway,

It was then, TK and I noticed that the main protest group seemingly was getting somewhat nearer and nearer to us as the water cannons and tear gasses went on for several more shots.

Too close for comfort, I thought.

TK also pointed out that they were so near already.

A loud clicking sound was what I heard next.

In the opposite street in front of TK and I, white fumes started to spread wildly.

"RUN!" I shouted to TK.

but not without a huge grin on my face.

I was trying so hard not to laugh. I don't even know why I felt like laughing. It was such a serious event, but the fact that there was this 2 characters in TK and I in the entire chaos just seemed so... awkward and out-of-place. Of all people. Lol.

I also spotted a smile on TK face as we dispersed from our original 'safe' spot.

We immediately turned our bodies and ran very quickly to some distance away. Not too far though, as we still wanted to observe what was going on.

It was only later when we realised how lucky we were. The freaking tear gas shell could have landed right next to us for all we know. The police could have tossed it to our street instead of the opposite street. It was DIRECTLY in front of us in the other street.

Damn-fun and exciting.

The little group of us which sought shelter at the same place consisted of TK, his friends, and I.. along with several random people and the coolest of them all would have to be the lawyers in their suits from the BAR Council. Gaya.

I later found out there were there to 'observe' the entire rally and to assist thought who got into trouble and all with the authorities.


Somewhere near where we sought shelter from the chemical-infested street.

*
You can't see it clearly but in the picture, a random street vendor selling drinks in the open air(the irony) was in the thick of things covering his mouth with a handkerchief while several members of the authorities stood in position not far away around him.


FRUs/police all geared up.
*

Not long later, someone came up with the suggestion that we should conduct our own little march to the palace as they received news that there was a huge march heading to the palace already. Many even already reached the palace. None of what happened to us occurred at their stations. Damn. Really didn't know if I was lucky or not after hearing that little bit.

Our little march was met with people also proceeding into the palace from different parts of Kuala Lumpur. If I'm not mistaken, I saw TENAGANITA's head Irene Fernandez somewhere there too. I also saw my ang moh lecturer too somewhere on the way.


Outside the BAR Council building, one of the 'stops' during our little march. You can spot a line of FRUs forming a wall in the background behind, blocking off the road, but a group of marchers from the other side still managed to cross anyway. They just passed a gap the wall didn't cover. -_-


However, it doesn't all just end happily ever after over there.

somehow,

our little march became even smaller when TK friends and I split-ed from the group and we ended up conducting an even smaller march of our own to the palace. -_-

Ok. Not good idea in my shoes because,

..it was raining at that time. Ok, maybe it wasn't raining cats and dogs, but drizzling heavily for sure.

Secondly, they were all guys which could run faster than me by a mile. And they all wanted to get to the palace fast so they decided to run.

Thirdly, I had a cut on the back of my left foot. You know when you wear a new shoe which is not of the right size or something, you get that damn painful relatively tiny cut. I got that shit at that very moment. Perfect timing.

It got so bad at one point that one of my newly-met-friends, who was TK's friend's friend, decided to switch shoes with me. Damn shy and embarrassing. But I couldn't reject because I really couldn't walk properly.


march march


more march march

I think if anyone I know saw me at that very moment, they would shed a tear. Seriously.

My determination was.. paramount. I felt so proud of myself achieving what I did.

I was limping like a dog drenched wet under the freaking rain being the only one without an umbrella while feeling all tired and exhausted with my legs almost giving up on me but I was still walking forward. Inch by inch, step by step, knowing I would still eventually reach in the end. I was still marching. I did not want to turn back or stop. 'Must reach palace no matter what or you'll regret for sure, Alex,' I psyched myself helplessly.


T.T Trying to fit my jeans in the gap between the back of my foot and my shoe to minimise contact. to no avail.

Nearing the palace, we saw this huge continuous line of people, or the yellow wave if you like, overhead us on a fly-over bridge thing, heading towards where we were headed to.


Line of marchers. Not hard to spot, just strain your eyes a little to the little heads on the fly-over.

It was amazing. And I thought the police actually succeeded in stopping people from reaching the palace. I thought the sealing of Kuala Lumpur would limit the people drastically but the continuous line of people went on and on as we stood still at a place to get our bearings right.


Damn near the palace. Can sense the huge gathered group of people. It was here when there were there people from Unit Amal shaking hands with us thanking us for our support. No problems, mate!

The wait and journey took much longer than the time we spent outside the palace.

We were late by several minutes. But it was not like we could see anything anyway even if we arrived early. The police had sealed off the entrance many meters ahead to the palace allowing only the people who were responsible for submitting the memorandum to the King to pass.

We didn't care, after all, the saying goes something like 'it is all about the journey not the destination,' right?

There could be no more fitting and apt saying than that.

We made it.

Whether I made it drenched wet, or with someone else's shoes, I didn't care, cause I made it.

I was tired as hell, my legs felt like they were gonna break apart, but I still made it.

We made it. The citizens made it. The odd-tens of thousands of people made it. The citizens spoke, and we were one in our aims, we were one in the march, we were one at the end of the day. And the feeling is a positive one.


Some of the people who were gathering outside the palace

The ministers can deny all they want, they can say all they want, but something had been done. There had been an impact surely. Whether directly or indirectly is only left to be seen.

The peaceful assembly remained peaceful from start to finish. Police resorted to violence, but no one fought back or caused any further damage.

And don't trust 100% the statement released just today by the King about the 'kesal-kesal' thing. Like any other form of news we get here in Malaysia, nothing can be trusted 100%. Just read this:http://www.malaysia-today.net/nuc2006/index.php?itemid=326

*

The journey back consisted of TK and I, but mostly TK, helping an elderly couple to board a train to a specific location cause they did not know how. Good Samaritans, we are. *random*

Anyway,

The solo journey in the train felt quicker than it was when I started off my journey, but maybe it was because my mind was filled with the thoughts of the very eventful stuff which I have done or went through throughout the entire day.


posing

I was smelly, sweaty, and tired hence I had to politely move to a corner less occupied in the train to avoid being shunted by everyone around me.

Certainly beats sleeping at home till late afternoon everyday.

It has to be up there among one of the top events of my somewhat un-meaningful 19-years of life.

If not, the top.


Daulat Tuanku!





End of Part 2.


p/s: Thanks, TK for the pictures.



-alexeO-

No comments: