Friday, April 16, 2010

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

I met a friend for lunch at my university today and I was left pleasantly surprised at the fact that the campus looked and felt better than the memory and image I held onto from the moment I left the campus, spent an entire year in another campus abroad, and till yesterday.

I arrived mid-afternoon and somewhat understood the complaints I've heard on the huge surplus of students ever since I left and the consequent lack of parking spaces. While most classes are held in the morning, despite my arrival time, I still had to navigate my vehicle several rounds around the congested carpark with smaller paths caused by illegal side-parkers. Eventually I parked my car in the outdoor student's parking under the scorching heat, walked under the scorching heat past the familiar and still dodgy-as-ever-looking bridge over a dirty huge river-drain and began my attempts to stride past the security guards with the confidence of a Monash University, Sunway Campus student. I was successful.

I took a look at the banners hung vertically from the metal posts which greeted every student walking to campus from the carpark and noticed they were slightly different in design but still carried the same, promotional, messages of the university. Cliched images of the various schools the university is comprised of. I suddenly politely moved out of the way of an oncoming group of friends, and recalled how I almost always used to do just exactly that just 2 or 3 years back while carrying my Billabong slingbag on the way to class which I'm 8 out of 10 times, late for.

I made my way to the first washroom I was walking past, just like how I habitually did those 2-3 years back before making my way to class, late or not. It carried the same stench, though unlike most public toilets in this country - not a horrible one, which probably explains the number of times I paid a visit to the room during those times.

As I continued my journey to the planned rendezvous, the strange and somewhat overwhelming Monash Sunway odour, which I cannot describe no matter how I try - just note that it is far from being a bad smell, along with the increasing volume of students' chatters and random RnB music playing from some speaker somewhere, welcomed me into the student's foyer right before the cafeteria.

And it is around this time during those years back when I make my way to the elevators to my classes.

I met my friend, and despite the change of staff and not-so-positive reviews, decided to have the same noodles from the Indonesian food stall with the same fried chicken fillets I used to eat so regularly last time. I even went to the extent of ordering the same drink, Neslo Ice, to accompany my lunch. That being said, the noodles did suck but at least the drink made for it by being served in the same transparent plastic cup and tasting not too different - as far as I can remember anyway. And yes, I also sat at a table which I actually remembered sitting at before as it was the one and only time a photo was taken of or by me, I don't actually remember, in the campus cafeteria.

After lunch, I made my way to the library and told or bragged to my friend before entering that I, "used to carry huge stacks of books in and out of the library last time!" The entrance looked the same at first glance I don't quite remember but the 2nd and 3rd floors were renovated quite a bit. They spoil the students with long and colourful couches and beanbags now. And they also have another exit on the 3rd floor. Somehow, I found that to be very interesting.

I also felt that this little excursion could not be completed without a visit to the Arts floor where I also spent quite some time when I was a student in the university. And I liked what I saw. Despite a little shifting of lecturers' offices, it still felt the same. I took my time reading the flyers, pamphlets, news pieces, and students' works on the notice boards. The pigeonholes where I inserted my (most of the time, late) assignments were exactly as how I last saw it. I even got the chance to see the Arts secretary collect them at 5pm sharp. Oh, those days were exciting.

I understand if you must wonder, why the nostalgia over something which I spent relatively not so many years of my life at? Or why the nostalgia over something which was still again relatively fresh to me as 2-3 years does or might not seem like a long time.

My answer to that would be I don't really know the answer to that. Maybe university was such a pivotal time to me in various aspects especially from a personal viewpoint. I must feel that I've gained the most out of my time in university. Or that I've changed the most during my years over there. I believe both are equally true. Either my course has really matured my mindset, or it is something which is outside my course, or both, one thing I know for sure is that I really enjoyed my years as an university student and have the most appreciation to it for the ways I am approaching my life today.

Perhaps it also has to do with the fact that I'm ending a chapter and will be moving on to the next in no time. No time is Monday, to be exact, where I start the new chapter of my life - no cliche, cheesiness, or corniness intended. Today represented the closure I could do with and it is one period of my life which even I surprise myself at how much significance I'm appropriating it with. It has probably got to do with many more life-changing experiences which I cannot think of or maybe just do not feel like sharing. Nevertheless, I came out of it an incredibly better person than who I was before and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Coincidentally and funnily enough, I have a little gathering with what is currently remaining of my high school friends this weekend. I say to that that there is no better time to put another fullstop to another momentous part of my life before I began the episode which I know will be probably the most significant yet.

And as much as I might not show it, and while this might seem out of place in this post, I am someone who is very appreciative of my friends and I am very grateful that I have a stable support system to fall back on when things start to go a little shaky. For that, I feel that the proper pieces are put into place for me to move on to the next phases I would face.

I'm Alex Yeo, 21 going on 22, loves when things go to plan accordingly, although I don't mind some spontaneity from time to time. And oh, did I mention I am pretty emotional and somewhat philosophical too? I also hate cockroaches with a passion.




AYCY

1 comment:

~KaRiNa~ said...

haha You know, you really did changed quite a bit throughout these years but it's definitely for the better and in a good way. I'm glad you found your closure and I'm quite sure you'll do fine at whatever that is happening on Monday. Melbourne's waiting for good news from you (: .

JiayouChiaYuan.